Cooper is charged in an alleged 17-month crime spree that left five people dead.
The crimes include:
- The May 12, 2006, murder of Osama "Samuel" Haj-Hussein, who was shot to death inside the In & Out Mart on Creech Road.
- The June 3, 2006, murder of Leroy Jernigan, who was shot to death inside the Circus Restaurant on Wake Forest Road.
- The April 27, 2007, murder of Timothy Barnwell, who was shot to death outside his apartment on Sunbow Falls Lane.
- The October 12, 2007, murder of Rickey High, who was shot to death on N. Tarboro Road.
- The October 14, 2007 murder of Tariq Hussain, who was shot to death inside Bobby's Grocery on Garner Road.
Garner Police captured Cooper after he allegedly robbed a bank there. A gun found during the robbery arrest was later determined to be the gun used in all the murders.
Prosecutors say the motive in all the killings was robbery.