Fire burns through Smithfield family's home week before Thanksgiving: 'Whole world changed'

WTVD logo
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Fire burns through family's home week before Thanksgiving
EMBED <>More Videos

"Nobody would ever go to bed thinking that you're going to lose your home." one homeowner said.

SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- A fire burned through a Smithfield family's home a week before Thanksgiving.

The fire started around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday at Anthony and Teresa Lynn's home of 18 years located on Longview Drive.

Thankfully, a working smoke detector woke Teresa up in time. She then alerted the rest of the house and got everybody out safely.

"When my wife came and told me the house was on fire and to get out, our whole world changed in about 60 seconds," Anthony said. "Nobody would ever go to bed thinking that you're going to lose your home."

"If they had not had working smoke detectors they could have been badly injured or could have lost their life," Fire Chief Jeremey Daughtry said.

Anthony and Teresa worked together to get Teresa's mother out of the house. She sleeps upstairs and has Alzheimer's disease.

"We got her out of the house, and the fire department was here within 3-5 minutes," Anthony said.

The Lynn's went to the hospital for treatment, but they were discharged with a clean bill of health by midday. Then they returned to their badly damaged home to pick up the pieces.

"Pictures are always the most important thing, your memories with your family," Teresa said.

The damage to their home is extensive and it remains unclear what sparked the fire, but the Lynn's are just thankful they're alive and they have the support of their family and friends.

"I want to say to everyone to make sure that they check their smoke detectors, that they work, check the batteries," Teresa said. "We want everyone to be safe and enjoy their Christmas."