Child killed, father injured in fire

March 24, 2009 4:35:57 AM PDT
A Fayetteville family is devastated by the death of a 3-year-old girl.She was killed in a fire Sunday night and her father is in critical condition at UNC Hospitals Burn Center.

"I tried to save her and nobody would listen," the girls aunt, Bianca Edwards, told Eyewitness News. "They just tried to keep pushing me back. I tried to save her."

Edwards said her niece, Nevaeh Pratt, died Sunday when her duplex caught fire. The child's father, Kenneth Pratt, was severely burned.

Next door neighbor Montez Avant tried to get the victims out.

"The flames, like were by that front window [were] bad," Avant said.

Avant said he could see the child laying on chair but he couldn't get inside the home. According to Avant, Kenneth Pratt's body was blocking the door. He was passed out.

Another neighbor, Ronald McKeithan, said he spoke to Pratt just before the fire.

"He [Pratt] was up, he was well," McKeightan said. "The baby, little Nikki, she was on the couch watching TV."

McKeithan told Eyewitness News Pratt always had problems with his stove, and it may have caused the fire.

Investigators said the fire started in the kitchen, and it could have been the stove. Right now they think is was an electrical problem and it was accidental. However, investigators have not ruled out arson.

Edwards said the fire is the second electrical fire to start in the apartment this year. She also said she complained to the landlord to fix the problem but nothing was ever done.

Authorities continue to investigate.


Load Comments