Cold weather brings fire danger

October 19, 2009 5:03:11 AM PDT
Temperatures are falling, and that has many reaching for space heaters and cranking up central heating systems that haven't been used since last winter. Experts say that equipment can easily be the source of a fire in your home if you aren't careful. Space heaters in particular are dangerous if they're placed too close to curtains, bedding, or other materials that can catch fire.

This weekend, a Fayetteville man was killed in his home when it caught fire. Investigators said a faulty propane heating system was likely to blame. In Granville County, a home caught fire after problems with a fireplace.

Adrian Perry lived in the home.

“I was trying to get my family members out of their first, and then trying to get some clothes for us to wear, because we didn’t have anything. I just had on shorts and a T-shirt,” Perry said.

Perry said it appeared there was something wrong with the chimney.

“It was smoky, so we couldn’t really stop it. We tried to get on top of the house and pour water through but it didn’t work,” Perry said.

Stoney Hill Fire Captain, Robert Nordman said it's a good idea to get heating equipment checked before you turn it on to make sure it's running properly. And test your smoke detectors and other warning equipment.

“You need to also make sure that you have carbon monoxide detectors that are in good working order,” Nordman said.

If you have questions, firefighters have the answers.

"Feel free to contact your local fire department with questions," he said. "We are here to help the community"

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook


Load Comments