Sprinkler problem makes for wet Thanksgiving at Raleigh hotel

Officials said the sprinkler system went off at the Holiday Inn near Crabtree Valley Mall
November 29, 2013 8:31:49 AM PST
A fire in an air conditioning unit triggered the sprinkler system in a room at the Holiday Inn near Crabtree Valley Mall Thanksgiving night.

Firefighters rushed to the building on Glenwood Avenue just before 9 p.m. when a fire alarm sounded on the 10th floor.

Investigators said the sprinkler system put out the fire, but there was significant water damage.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to get the sprinkler system under control. When ABC11 was at the scene, crews worked to clean up excessive water inside the building.

Those staying inside the hotel were forced to evacuate the building while the cleanup took place.

"My family was asleep, my wife and two kids and then I heard water dripping so I got up to check and saw there was water coming down from the ceiling, a crack in the ceiling, woke up wife, and saw there were fire trucks outside," hotel guest Justin Kintzel said.

There were no reports of injuries.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments