Chapel Hill gas leak prompts evacuations

A gas leak at UNC Thursday morning prompted the evacuation of a dorm.

February 20, 2014 8:46:08 AM PST
A reported gas leak on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's campus prompted evacuations at one of the dorms Thursday morning.

Around 10 a.m., UNC Campus Police and the Chapel Hill Fire Department were called to an area near the Near Aycock Residence Hall in the 100 block of Country Club Road after a contractor hit a gas line.

The dorm was evacuated as a precaution and nearby streets were blocked off as crews worked to repair the damage.

Officials with PSNC told ABC11 that a contractor using a trencher hit the 3/4 inch line, but it was quickly capped. They also said the line is going to be retired from PSNC's system.

Residents were able to return to their dorm rooms a short time later.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments