Driver faces second-degree murder charges in crash that killed Garner family

WTVD logo
Wednesday, June 5, 2024
Driver faces murder charges in crash that killed Garner family
Search warrants reveal that the driver had allegedly drank 2-3 beers and smoked marijuana before getting in his SUV.

GARNER, N.C. (WTVD) -- The man charged with killing a family in a crash has been given a $3 million bond.

Jordan Alexander Porter, 25, of Garner, has now been charged with three counts of second-degree murder, in addition to three counts of felony death by vehicle, speeding, failure to stop at a red light, expired registration, possession of marijuana paraphernalia, reckless driving and more.

Garner Police Department said three vehicles were involved in the May 27 crash. A silver Chevrolet Trailblazer driven by Porter, a dark blue Mazda CX5 Select and a black Cadillac Escalade.

Investigators said Porter was traveling west on US 70 and ran a red light, hitting the Mazda, which was traveling south on New Rand Road.

The family in the Mazda was killed. Police identified them as 28-year-old Tyler Campbell, 28-year-old Susan Campbell and their son 8-year-old Miles Campbell.

SEE ALSO | Killed Garner family left lasting impact on friends and neighbors: 'Everybody loved them'

A neighbor and close friend of the Garner family killed in a car crash is clinging to memories of them that she will forever cherish.

Court documents show that Porter was allegedly going 82 miles per hour in a 45 mph zone.

Search warrants reveal that Porter's wife told investigators he had drank 2-3 beers while at a bowling alley in Clayton and had smoked marijuana prior to leaving for work.

She went on to tell investigators that the SUV Porter was driving was in need of repair work to the brakes and steering. The vehicle had not had a safety inspection since February 2020.

Garner Police Department said officers found open beer cans in the back seat of the vehicle.

Court records also show Porter had a history of traffic violations dating back to 2015. One of those violations happened a month before the deadly crash.

He is expected to be arraigned in a Wake County court on Thursday morning.