Progress Energy 1-800-419-6356 or visit www.progress-energy.com
Duke Energy 1-800-POWERON or visit www.duke-energy.com
PWC 1-877-OUR-PWCI or visit www.faypwc.com
Other electric cooperatives can be found at: www.ncelectriccooperatives.com
Governor Beverly Perdue's office has the following safety tips in the event of a power outage:
- Do not use charcoal grills or generators indoors.
- Turn off electrical appliances that were on when the power went off to avoid a power surge when the electricity is restored.
- Use flashlights. Do not use candles; they greatly increase the chance of having a fire in your home.
- Limit your activities to no more than two rooms and close off unneeded rooms.
- Stuff towels or rags in cracks under doors and cover windows at night to keep warm air in and cold air out.
- Remember to eat and drink regularly. Food provides the body with energy to produce its own heat.
- Keep the body replenished with fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Wear layers of loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing. Layering clothes keeps you warmer than a single layer of heavy clothing. Remove layers to avoid overheating, perspiration and subsequent chill.