Charges dropped in daycare fire

May 26, 2010 8:40:08 AM PDT
Police said Wednesday that charges against a 13-year-old accused of burning down a daycare building under construction have been dropped, but a second teen is now charged.

The large building being built at 55 Hawkesburg Drive was destroyed by the blaze April 5.

Soon after, the 13-year-old was charged. Now, a 14-year-old is believed to be behind the fire.

Neither teen's name was released because of their ages.

"The dismissal was a joint tactical decision by the DA’s Office, as well as all of the agencies involved in the investigations," said the Clayton Police Department in a statement.

Officials said the dismissal could further their investigation into a series of arsons in the Clayton area over the past seven months.

The latest were two homes under construction on Skygrove Drive in the Glen Laurel subdivision earlier this month.

The Clayton Police Department, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are all on the case.

The arsonist(s) have struck at:

  • 12 Cameo Court, on Oct. 31st, 2009
  • 47 Cameo Court, on Oct. 31st, 2009
  • 12 Cameo Court, on Dec. 15th, 2009
  • 102 Rolling Meadows, on Jan. 18th, 2010
  • 116 Rolling Meadows, on Jan. 18th, 2010
  • 137 Skygrove Drive, on May 2nd, 2010
  • 151 Skygrove Drive, on May 2nd, 2010

Anyone with information on these cases is asked to call the Clayton Police Department at (919) 553-4611 or Clayton Crime Stoppers at 9919) 359-TIPZ (8479). A $20,000 reward was offered for information leading to arrests.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments