Video from ABC11 Eyewitness News viewer Phil Smith says it all. It was chaos and fear in the 100 block of Kellerhis Drive.
Just after 1 p.m. Tuesday, EMS crews and about 40 Apex, Cary and Fairview firefighters arrived on scene to the find the home in Carriage Downs fully engulfed.
"As I was looking out, the whole house was completely going down," eyewitness Sumathis Ramesh said.
Ramesh was sitting on her porch a block away when she saw homeowner Aditya Ahlawat escape.
Ahlawat says he and his 2-year-old son and a 24-year-old nephew were upstairs when he heard knocking and popping downstairs.
"He said he heard the noise, and he was feeling very warm inside and then he ran, grabbed his child and he came running out of the house," Ramesh explained.
Ahlawat, his son and nephew made it out of the house before the roof collapsed.
Chopper11 HD showed the damage -- a charred deck where officials believe the flames originated.
"I could see the roof and everything started to melt and the whole fire, the whole roof was caving in with the fire coming out and the fumes were getting thicker and thicker," Ramesh said.
No one was injured, but the Ahlawats' home is a total loss.
"My heart goes to the family, and we told them anything they need from us, any help, we'll be there for them," Ramesh said.