Man stabs daughter, shoots 4-year-old grandson before killing self in Warren County: Police

MANSON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A stabbing and shooting in Warren County resulted in three deaths, including a 4-year-old, according to Sheriff Johnny Williams.

Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App

Authorities said they believe 52-year-old John Hargrove, the father of 21-year-old Jada Swindell, stabbed her to death before shooting his 4-year old grandson and a 15-year old family friend.

The violence happened off Ellington Road in Manson around 2:15 p.m. Monday.

Investigators arrived at the home to find two adults, a man and a woman, dead on the floor.

"It was very difficult," Williams said. "Any time there's juveniles involved in a dispute and it results in this circumstances that happened in this case, is very very very uncomfortable and stressful dealing with it."

Two children, ages 15 and 4, were taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The 4-year-old later died during surgery at the hospital.

Williams said Hargrove appears to have killed himself after the violent outburst. The 15-year-old girl remains in the hospital. The sheriff said his office has spoken to her about the case.

On Tuesday afternoon, authorities released two 911 calls in the case.

Fayetteville Dispatch: "We have had a person call us and say a person has been shot and stabbed at this location."
Warren County Dispatch: "Somebody's been shot and stabbed?"
Fayetteville Dispatch: "Yes, they called us from a disconnected cell phone."

That call came in just after 2 p.m. Monday, according to a sheriff's office report.

On Tuesday, police tape still surrounds the home, which remains the focus of this ongoing investigation.

Another 911 call, with spotty quality, gives more details about what happened inside.

Warren County Dispatch: "OK, so you're saying somebody's been shot, is that right?"
Caller: "Yes, that's what my sister had said happened. She said he had stabbed her and her friend, which is my step-sister."

Authorities said the initial call was for a domestic disturbance, which they believe was an argument between Hargrove and his daughter.

That escalated when another call minutes later reported shots fired.

Hargrove and Swindell were pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities have been called to that home before but did not provide details on those calls.

Neighbors told ABC11 they did not even know anyone lived in the home where the shooting happened. Hargrove lived there alone, Sheriff Williams said.
Copyright © 2020 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.