The Department of Public Safety is warning the campus to stay alert and take extra safety precautions. A strong-arm robbery was reported on north campus near Hill Hall just after midnight Saturday.
No weapons were used in the robbery.
A 24-year-old male and his sister were walking between Hill Hall and the Smith Building when he was grabbed from behind and pushed to the ground.
The suspect fled the scene after a /*UNC*/ public safety officer, who was on foot patrol in the area, confronted him.
The Department of Public Safety offers the following safety tips:
- Don't walk alone at night.
- Use the buddy system.
- Walk in well-lit areas of campus.
- Immediately report any and all suspicious activity to law enforcement by calling 911.
- Remember 911 is not only for emergencies.
- If you do not have a cell phone, use the call boxes located across campus.
- Use UNC's free Point-to-Point demand service by calling 962-7867 (962-P-TO-P) and providing your UNC personal identification number. The service is available at night to UNC students, faculty and staff at various locations during summer months.
- Use Chapel Hill Transit, free to all passengers during operational hours.