Click here for some pictures of one type of ATM skimmer
Raleigh police have some tips on what to watch out for. Closely examine ATM card slots to make sure nothing appears to be attached to the front of them.
- Do not use an ATM if the card reader appears to be added on, to fit poorly or to be loose.
- Avoid device instructions that say things like "Swipe Here First" or "Use This Machine Only."
- If something does not look right, use another ATM.
- Always cover the ATM keypad as you're entering your PIN in case a hidden camera is nearby.
- Don't accept "help" from anybody at an ATM machine.
- Immediately call the customer service number on the ATM if a machine keeps your card, appears suspicious or does not function properly.
If you see someone's not quite right when you go to an ATM, call police right away. It can keep you or someone else from becoming a victim.