Troubleshooter: Combat compensation pay

It started at the end of last year when Vietnam veteran Raymond Yamrus received a letter from the Department of Defense about 2010 compensation options for retirees, one is taxable, the other non-taxable.

"It doesn't take a brain surgeon to decide which one to take," he said. "So I decided to take the CRSC instead of the other one in December.

Yamrus said he faxed and mailed the paperwork back, but after two months of monthly pay, he realized taxes were still being taken out. So he got in touch with the Department of Defense.

"I don't know how we overlooked it, but we do have the fax with your information and we will go ahead and get it all straightened out for you," he said.

Then, Yamrus questioned the two months worth of taxes he that were taken out.

"Yep, you're authorized the money and as soon as get the paperwork straightened out we'll go ahead and send you the money," he said.

But Yamrus never got the money, so he wrote letters and says he personally dropped off his complaint to two state lawmakers.

"Hey we can handle it," he said. "The defense guys, we've never had a problem with them."

But Yamrus heard nothing, so he turned to me.

"I thought why not go ahead and call you I got nothing to lose," he said. "It's not the money anymore, it's the principal."

ABC11 got in touch with the Department of Defense, and Yamrus soon received a welcome call.

"She said I guarantee you the money will be in your bank within 7 to 10 days," Yamrus said.

After more than six months of waiting, Yamrus finally got back the $148 he was owed.

A representative with the Department of Defense said because of the privacy act, they could not comment on the matter, but do apologize for the frustrations it caused Yamrus.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.