"And as soon as I get out the car, he sticks his arm out the window and says 'My garage is on fire and they're trying to get stuff out the house.' I said 'Well you can go, but you can't go 90 mile an hour,'" Buckley recalled.
The pair went to Pier's home only to find flames shooting from the garage. The blaze was spreading to the rest of the house and firefighters had yet to arrive.
"And as soon as we were here, we weren't on site 30 seconds before he was running in the house trying to locate the little dog," said Buckley.
Buckley went in too. The dog - named Chewy - apparently wasn't interested in being rescued and tried to bite him twice.
"I said 'Uh, I going to try one more time.' As he got to the steps, I took a blanket and threw it over him and wrapped him up and spun him like a loaf of bread and brought him outside and handed him over," said Buckley.
The fire destroyed the garage and workshop and started creeping up the side of the house. The big concern was a 100-gallon propane tank.
"If that tank would have gone off, none of this would have been here," said Pier.
In all, three dogs and three cats were saved. Buckley also helped pull the family's Christmas presents out of the house.
Firefighters managed to put the fire out before it did substantial damage to the home. Pier plans to rebuild and is thankful to everybody who helped save his animals and his Christmas.
"Nobody got hurt. None of the firefighters were hurt and it's just a miracle nobody got hurt," he said.
Classifieds | Report A Typo |
Send Tip |
Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook