Fmr. Duke Lacrosse accuser granted bond


The move came over the objections of the family of Reginald Daye, who had asked she be held until her trial. The bond is high enough, she may well stay behind bars.

Mangum charged with first-degree murder in Daye's death. Police say Daye, 46, was taken to Duke Hospital with multiple stab wounds April 3 after a domestic dispute between he and Mangum turned violent at a home on Century Oaks Drive. He died April 14.

At Mangum's bail hearing, her attorney asked the judge to set a reasonable bail. Chris Shella argued that the report on Daye's death from the medical examiner is not complete, and the cause of death has not been established.

"The state has the burden of proving that my client caused the death of this individual. Without a coroner's report, they can't do that. And right now, they can't even say that her actions could have caused his death. Based on that, your honor, I'm asking that the court set a bond of $100,000," said Shella.

Daye's family told the judge that Mangum - who has previously been charged in another domestic violence case involving another boyfriend - is a menace to society.

"I just feel like my brother was the ultimate sacrifice to get her off the streets. That's the only way I can look at this and get through it, because there's no reason why he shouldn't be here," said Daye's sister Shantia Lawrence. "She was the primary cause, so we're asking that she not be released."

Assistant District Attorney Kelly Gauger also called Mangum dangerous.

"Ms. Mangum's record includes a history of assaultive behavior, domestic violence behavior, including situations where she would have been an aggressor herself," she said.

Mangum made national headlines in March 2006, when the then NC Central student and exotic dancer claimed three Duke Lacrosse players sexually assaulted her during a performance at a team party inside a house near Duke's campus.

A year later, Attorney General Roy Cooper exonerated the players saying there was no credible evidence in the case.

Former Durham district attorney Mike Nifong - who pursued the charges against the players - was later disbarred and was accused of withholding DNA evidence that would have cleared them.

Mangum went into hiding, then graduated from NCCU in 2008 with a degree in police psychology. Later that year, she released a memoir, "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story".

Then last year, Mangum was arrested and charged with attempted murder, arson and child abuse after a domestic dispute with a man she dated before Daye.

In December, the jury found Mangum guilty of child abuse, but they couldn't agree on a first-degree felony arson charge, which could have landed Mangum in jail for seven years.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.