It happened around 4 a.m. on Trekwood Drive in the Grissom Farms Subdivision in Garner.
Family members told ABC11 that they awoke to their mother yelling. Six people, six dogs and a bird made it out of the home safely. A pet lizard did not.
"The last thing I remember was going to bed and waking up to my mom saying, 'Get up, get up, the house is on fire,'" one of the teenage family members said. "A thousand thoughts just jumped into my head, I said, 'What do I grab first ... what do I do, do I run outside ... where do I go?"
It took fire crews over an hour to get the blaze under control. It is unclear what sparked the flames.
Family members believe the fire started in a bonus room, but authorities have not confirmed that.
The family owns Shuck'Em Shack restaurant on Timber Drive East off White Oak Road in Garner. They said they did not know if they would open the restaurant Tuesday.