Troubleshooter helps woman get Social Security refund


The letter stated her dad was overpaid $805 when Jean was a child.

"I recognized the Social Security number from being his, but even in the letter they stated I was a child when this happened," she said.

Jean, 50, questions why now, after 30 years, Social Security is taking $805 from her check.

"That's a big chunk of my check, how can they do this out of nowhere," Jean said.

"My father's dead...they can't get him, and it just seemed like they were aiming out of blue that they were doing this," she added.

Jean said she called her Fayetteville Social Security Office about fighting it.

"The lady told me I was a day too late to file an appeal," Jean said.

"She said there was nothing they could do about it so I kind of felt hopeless," she added.

Not giving up, Jean reached out to me, and I got in touch with the Social Security Administration.

After that, Jean got a call that the money was being put back into her account.

"I'm really glad that you all could help me," Jean said.

"I knew I needed my money because I had bills to pay," she added.

No one ever got back to me from the Social Security Administration about why this happened.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.