Raleigh leaders talk teen curfew as police chief cites 'trend of violence'

DeJuan Hoggard Image
Tuesday, August 18, 2026 10:39PM
Raleigh leaders talk curfew as police chief cites 'trend of violence'
No vote or decision was taken Tuesday.

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Raleigh city leaders and police met Tuesday at City Hall to discuss a possible curfew for teens younger than 18 following a July 4 shooting in Brier Creek and a large teen gathering on Glenwood South the morning of July 5 that city officials described as a "teen takeover."

No vote or decision was made. However, the work session gave councilmembers a chance to hear concerns and consider next steps.

"I want to make sure our black and brown kids are not being targeted," said councilmember Stormie Forte.

Police said the proposed curfew, which would run from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., has three objectives: youth protection, public safety and parental responsibility.

According to Raleigh Police Department data, crimes involving juveniles as suspects or arrestees are up 9% compared to this time last year. So far in 2026, there have been 894 crimes where juveniles have been the suspect and in many cases arrested. During this same time period in 2025, that figure was 821.

Among the sharpest increases were the number of actual firearm rounds fired into a vehicle or a dwelling. There were 15 incidents in 2025 compared with 190 so far in 2026. That represents an increase of 1,167%.

"Just let that sink in," said Raleigh Police Chief Rico Boyce. "We're seeing a trend of violence in our juveniles increase year over year."

The hours under consideration closely mirror curfews already in place in other cities in North Carolina, including Charlotte, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount and Winston-Salem.

Some city leaders have expressed skepticism, noting Raleigh has not seen another teen takeover since the July 4 weekend. Still, police say recent incidents underscore the need for new tools.

Boyce said the July 4 and July 5 events "got everyone's attention throughout the entire nation of what happened in our great city."

However, Raleigh resident Shane Stanley addressed the council on Tuesday, saying that the majority of the people he saw on Glenwood South that evening were "grown adults."

Boyce emphasized that a curfew would not be a cure-all.

"A curfew is not a fix. It is a tool," he said.

Tuesday's work session and council meeting served as an opportunity for leaders to continue discussing options and determine whether a curfew or another approach would be beneficial.

"If we could understand the pros and cons and some of the unintended consequences would be helpful for us," Councilman Mitchell Silver said. "It's very important we have a balanced approach."

City Council is slated to hear public comment on the proposed ordinance again in September.

Copyright © 2026 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.