The officer who was injured, Charles Ainsworth, is out of surgery at WakeMed, but a spokesperson with the Raleigh Police Protective Association said he remains in "a very serious situation."
Below is the timeline of events that Raleigh Police Department sources say happened Wednesday night:
- Cedric Kearney and Sherry Richmond rob a man of his car and wallet
- Around 8:30 p.m., Raleigh Police Department gets a call about a suspicious vehicle at an apartment complex off Western Boulevard
- Ainsworth and a second officer arrive at the apartment complex and pull over the suspicious vehicle
- Antonio Fletcher surrenders to officers without incident
- Kearney opens fire on the officers and runs off
- Reinforcement of officers arrive; they lift Ainsworth into a vehicle and drive him away from the scene, safely meeting up with an ambulance to take Ainsworth to WakeMed where he undergoes surgery
- Officers locate Kearney in a shed on Wendy Lane and use stun grenades to help bring him into custody safely
- Early Thursday morning Ainsworth comes out of surgery
- Kearney has first court appearance; Fletcher's is moved to Friday
Stay with ABC11 as we continue to gather more details about this developing story.