U.S. stocks are closing lower Tuesday after falling sharply in the final hour of trading.
Stocks surged early in the day, rebounding from a big sell-off on Monday after the Chinese central bank said it was cutting interest rates to shore up its economy.
How concerned are you about the financial markets? Scroll to the bottom of the article to take our poll.
Here's a look at how local companies fared today.
- Red Hat, Inc (RHT): -$0.07 (-0.10%) closing at $68.96
- Quintiles Transnational Holdings Inc. (Q): $0.77 (+1.10%) closing at $71.01
- Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (MLM): -0.48 (-0.31%) closing at $154.34
- Cree, Inc. (CREE): $-0.88 (-3.34%) closing at $25.43
- Highwoods Properties Inc. (HIW): -$1.06 (-2.75%) closing at $37.45
- First Citizens Bancshares Inc. (FCNCA): -$3.73 (-1.62%) closing at $226.05
- INC Research Holdings, Inc. (INCR): $0.84 (+2.10%) closing at $40.80
- PRA Health Sciences, Inc. (PRAH): 1.81 (+5.14%) closing at $37.03
- Ply Gem Holdings, Inc (PGEM): -$0.24 (-1.89%) closing at $12.45
- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (BCRX): -$0.52 (-4.57%) closing at $10.87
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 204.78, or 1.3 percent, to 15,666.44 The Standard & Poor's 500 index dropped 25.60 points, or 1.4 percent, to 1,867.62. The Nasdaq composite dropped 19.76 points, or 0.4 percent, to 4,506.49.
More on Wall Street's day here.