Suspected Triangle terrorists appear in court

Eight are accused of plotting terrorism

April 16, 2010 2:19:07 PM PDT
The seven Triangle area men charged with plotting terrorism attacks were back at the federal courthouse in Raleigh Friday morning.Daniel Boyd, his sons, Dylan and Zakariya, and four other suspects - Anes Subasic, Hysen Sherifi, Mohammad Hassan and Ziyad Yaghi -- are all charged with plotting to attack the Marine base at Quantico and wage Islamic jihad abroad.

Authorities say their operation was being run from a home in Johnston County.

Friday's hearing was about the massive amount of evidence lawyers need to go through before the case can go to trial.

"We estimate that 29,000 pages of paper, 750 hours of audio and videotape and 24 computers," defense attorney Dan Boyce said. "So it's a daunting task, to say the least."

The FBI has said that it seized some two dozen weapons from the Boyd household and that a pit had been dug under their back deck to be used to store the guns.

They also seized more than 27,000 rounds of ammunition, along with $14,000 in cash.

In an interview with agents, Dylan Boyd claimed that the U.S. Army was overseas raping and killing "their" Muslim sisters and repeatedly called the FBI agents questioning him "kuffar" -meaning nonbelievers. He also said the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks were an "inside job."

The seven men are scheduled to go on trial in Raleigh in September.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook


Load Comments