It's happened outside two Wells Fargo bank branches so far. Two happened at the bank's location on North Duke Street. The other happened at the Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard branch.
In one case, a man was physically assaulted. There are three victims and two are women
One man reported to police he was kicked in the shins and punched in the face several times.
All of the victims were carrying deposit bags when they were approached. The victims are in their late 30s to early 60s.
The would be robber is described by two of the victims, as a tall African-American man in his 20s
Anyone with information on any of these cases is asked to call police at (919) 560-4582, ext. 29240 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.
The Durham Police Department is providing the following crime prevention tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see anything suspicious, do not hesitate to call 911.
- Do not carry extra cash or valuables. If you must carry a deposit bag or other cash, try to carry in a way that it is not easily visible.
- Have someone go with you when you make a deposit.
- Avoid loiterers or people hanging out in groups.
- Walk briskly and with confidence.
- If you are robbed or assaulted, report the crime to the police. Try to describe your attacker as accurately as possible and take note of any vehicles involved in the incident.