NEW YORK -- Looking to mail packages before Santa comes to town? Holiday shipping deadlines are quickly approaching, and the closer you ship to Christmas, the more expensive the delivery!
The United States Postal Service and private shippers UPS and FedEx project to have enough capacity after struggling for the past two years, when many people hunkered down at home and turned to online shopping.
Here are recommended holiday 2022 shipping deadlines for major shipping companies to help you get your packages in the mail on time.
United States Postal Service (USPS) 2022 holiday shipping deadlines
For delivery before Dec. 25
- USPS Retail Ground: Dec. 17
- First Class Mail: Dec. 17
- Priority Mail: Dec. 19
- Priority Mail Express: Dec. 23
Click here for USPS shipping deadlines for mail sent to international and military addresses. USPS also offers a list on its website with tips about how to avoid common holiday shipping mishaps to ensure your packages arrive on time.
UPS holiday 2022 shipping deadlines
For Dec. 24 delivery
- UPS Ground: UPS recommends its self-service options for calculating delivery time
- UPS 3 Day Select: Dec. 20
- UPS 2nd Day Air: Dec. 21
- UPS Next Day Air: Dec. 22
MORE: Real Christmas trees may cost up to $10 more than last year
FedEx holiday 2022 shipping deadlines
Recommended last days to ship for delivery by Dec. 25
- FedEx Ground Economy: Dec. 8
- FedEx Freight Economy: Dec. 8
- FedEx Home Delivery: Dec. 14
- FedEx Ground: Dec. 14
- FedEx Freight Priority and Direct: Dec. 14
- FedEx Express Saver: Dec. 20
- FedEx 3Day Freight: Dec. 20
- FedEx 2Day Freight: Dec. 21
- FedEx 1Day Freight: Dec. 22
- 2Day & 2Day AM*: Dec. 21
- Extra Hours*: Dec. 22
- FedEx SameDay: Dec. 23
*With optional Saturday Delivery (a $16 per package surcharge), your last day to ship can be extended by an additional day to 12/23 for FedEx First Overnight and FedEx Priority Overnight and to 12/22 for FedEx 2Day.
These recommendations were provided by each company and are subject to change. Please contact shipping companies directly with any questions.