Missing toddler in Durham found safe

October 19, 2010 6:01:54 AM PDT
Durham police say they've found a 1-year-old boy and arrested his uncle.The boy's mother told ABC11 Eyewitness News she last saw her son on Sunday at the Durham city bus stop on Fayetteville Street with her brother-in-law.

Liliana Briseno said the boy's uncle, 34-year-old Vicente Guerrero-Omana, told her he was taking the toddler, Eliut Briseno, to Wal-Mart Sunday afternoon. However hours later, he called Briseno to tell her he was not going to be returning her son.

She said Guerrero-Omana told her he was waiting to meet up with his brother, Benito - the boy's father, who had been deported to Mexico months earlier.

The phone call was very brief, Briseno said, and at first she couldn't believe what she had heard. She said she never thought her brother-in-law would kidnap her son.

Durham police say the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force located Guerrero-Omana and the child Tuesday morning on Streams of Fields Drive in Raleigh. The child was unhurt and has been returned to his mother.

Guerrero-Omana was charged with abduction and placed in Durham County Jail under a $50,000 bond.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook


Load Comments