A teen charged in man's death may face judge

Regynald Jose Brown (Images courtesy family)
January 14, 2013 6:34:02 AM PST
One of four boys accused of beating a homeless man to death in Raleigh could be back in court Monday.

Three 15 year olds and a 13 year old are facing murder charges in connection with 37-year-old Regynald Brown's death. Another 15 year old has been charged as an accessory.

All except one of the teens waved their right to a hearing Monday.

Brown's body was found in November by his friends where he camped on the Capital Area Greenway along Walnut Creek - between Wilmington Street and Hammond Road near Interstate 40.

» Click here for a map of the area «

A Wake County prosecutor told a judge last month that the teens crushed Brown's skull with a rock, then returned days later and put his body in a trash can and attempted to bury it.

The prosecutor also linked the boys to the gang rape of a young girl in June, the robbery of a 67-year-old man and a 10-year-old boy, along with another gang rape of a girl.

They said all the alleged attacks were a way for the teens to "earn their stars" with "Big Money Swag," a subset of the "Cutthroats" gang.

During last month's court appearance, the judge ordered that the boys, except for the 13-year-old, remain locked up.

Prosecutors said they intend to bind all the cases against the teens into one in the hope they can be bound over to adult court.

State law bars prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in murder cases where the defendants are younger than 18.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments