Fire burns Durham restaurant

Firefighters battled a blaze at the El Rodeo restaurant in the 900 block of West Main Street in Durham. (Rob Elmore)
March 15, 2013 5:18:23 PM PDT
Durham fire investigators have ruled a fire at a popular Durham restaurant as accidental.

Heavy smoke was reported coming from the kitchen area of El Rodeo, in the Brightleaf Square complex on West Main Street, just after 10 a.m.

The owner of the restaurant said the kitchen crew had to run for their lives.

"Grease was falling from the hood system down," said co-owner Andres Onate. "So, it was actually burning from the hood. They heard a boom! And right after the boom, they saw the hood system get red hot. And then they just got out."

Everyone made it out safely. However, Durham firefighters faced a dangerous task of dousing flames from the top level of the landmark building.

"The problem with these buildings is over the years the wood is dried out," said Durham Fire Chief Daniel Curia. "While the building itself is very sturdy, the connection points are not as strong as we'd like them to be. So there is the potential for the building to collapse."

The blaze was brought under control within two hours. The popular restaurant was left charred and waterlogged.

Onate vowed to save a piece of Durham's history.

"Everybody's OK," he said. "So that's the main focus. We can fix this. We're going to open it up. That's no problem."

There's no word on how soon the restaurant will open for business.

No one was injured.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments