Investigators believe Dolores Benito Gomez, 48, of Garrett Road was shot during an armed robbery on Burke Street shortly before 7 p.m.
After the robbery, Gomez got in his vehicle and drove approximately two blocks before crashing in the woods near Shoppers Street and House Avenue.
He was taken to Duke University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The suspects were described as two males dressed in black.
Anyone with information about the robberies or the homicide is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.
The Durham Police Department is providing the following robbery crime prevention tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see anything suspicious, do not hesitate to call 911.
- Have your keys ready when you approach your apartment or vehicle.
- Do not carry extra cash or valuables.
- Do not walk alone at night. Darkness gives robbers an advantage.
- If someone follows you, do not drive home. Go to a well-lit place and report it.
- Avoid loiterers or people hanging out in groups.
- Walk briskly and with confidence.
- Park in a well-lit area of the apartment complex.
- Do not let strangers inside your apartment. Use your peephole to see who is at the door.