They were also charged with shooting one robbery victim and injuring another.
The two men -- William Dozia Smith, 20, and Stephen Oates, 19, both of Anthony Drive -- were arrested with two 14-year-old juveniles Tuesday night after a vehicle chase that ended near Rock Quarry Road in Wake County.
The four were charged Tuesday night with committing an armed robbery January 20 on Lambeth Circle. On Wednesday, investigators charged Oates with murder and robbery in the January 18 shooting death of 29-year-old Abhijit Mahato at 1600 Anderson Street.
Wednesday night investigators charged Oates and Smith with the following robberies in western Durham:
- January 7 at 6:55 p.m. at 3536 Mayfair Street. Two males were getting out of their car when two males approached them and robbed them at gunpoint. One victim was hit in the face during the robbery. The suspects fled with a cell phone, wallet and cash.
- January 11 at 10:33 p.m. at 881 Louise Circle. A male and female were robbed in front of an apartment building by a male armed with a handgun. The male fled with a cell phone, jewelry, bank cards and cash.
- January 15 at 9 p.m. at 1704 White Pine Drive. A Domino's pizza delivery man was robbed at gunpoint by two males as he was trying to deliver a pizza. The suspects stole a pizza and cash.
- January 17 at 6 p.m. at 1803 House Avenue. A male was robbed at gunpoint in front of an apartment building by two males wearing black hooded sweatshirts. The suspects fled on foot with cash and a cell phone.
- January 18 at 9 p.m. at 2920 Chapel Hill Road. Several males were working on a car when two males approached on foot and robbed them of cash, wallets and cell phones.
- January 19 at 2:21 a.m. at 2920 Chapel Hill Road. Several males were robbed of cash by three males armed with guns. The suspects shot one victim in the leg before fleeing in a silver Mercedes and a white Ford Explorer or Expedition.
- January 19 at 11 p.m. at 2920 Chapel Hill Road. One male was robbed at gunpoint by two males as he stepped out of his car. The suspects fled on foot with cash and debit cards.
- January 20 at 7:08 p.m. at 880 Louise Circle. One male was robbed by a male armed with a handgun. The suspect took cash, a cell phone, bank cards and an iPod.
These robberies occurred at night in apartment complexes. The robbers used several types of weapons, including handguns, shotguns and rifles.
The suspects usually wore dark clothing and covered their faces with bandanas. The suspect vehicle used in several robberies was a white Ford Taurus with Florida tags, which was the vehicle stopped in the chase Tuesday night.
Investigators charged Smith and Oates each with 15 counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and one count of obtaining property by false pretense.
Investigators are still trying to determine if Oates and Smith were involved in other armed robberies in recent weeks.
Police believe that there may be several robberies that have not been reported. The Durham Police Department is asking that anyone who has been the victim of a robbery in recent weeks to call 911 and make a report.
Anyone with more information on recent robberies is asked to call Investigator R.J. Guardino Jr. at 560-1020, ext. 236.