When, where and how to file taxes

April 15 each year is the due date for filing your Federal individual income tax return, if your tax year ends December 31.

Your return is considered filed timely if the envelope is properly addressed and postmarked no later than April 15. If you use a fiscal year (which is a year ending on the last day of any month other than December), your return is due on or before the 15th day of the fourth month after the close of your fiscal year.

If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day (i.e., Tax Year 2006 is due April 17, 2007).

If you cannot file by the due date of your return, then you can request an extension of time to file. However, an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

You will owe interest on any past-due tax and you may be subject to a late-payment penalty if payment is not made timely. To receive an automatic 6-month extension of time to file your return, you can file Form 4868 by the due date of your return. For more information, refer to the Form 4868 Instructions.

For more information and helpful links, look in the Story Tools box on the right.

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.