Officers responded to Rivercliffe Road near the Cape Fear River Trail at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday evening in reference to a report of an attempted sexual assault.
The female victim was walking along the Cape Fear River Trail near Rivercliffe Road when a white male attempted to assault her. She was able to escape and ran to Rivercliffe Road and called for help.
The incident is still under investigation at this time. The only description of the suspect available is a skinny white male. It is too early in the investigation to state if this incident is related to the same suspect responsible for three other rapes in the Ramsey Street area.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should contact the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 433-1856.
To remain anonymous and receive up to a $1,000.00 reward contact Crime Stoppers at (910) 483-8477.
The following are safety tips for individuals who may be out jogging/exercising:
- Contact police if you notice suspicious individuals or activities. Call 911 and ask for an officer to respond./li>
- Use the buddy system when going out./li>
- Be aware of your surroundings during the day and night regardless of whether you home or away. Be particularly cautious in unfamiliar surroundings./li>
- When jogging or walking go with a friend and vary your route./li>
- Do not use earphones when exercising outdoors. They can prevent you from hearing approaching footsteps or vehicles./li>
- Exercise in open areas. Avoid areas where someone can easily hide./li>
- Don't forget to close and lock windows and doors before leaving your home./li>
- Make sure a family member or close friend knows where you are going and when you should return./li>
- Keep your cell phone with you in case an emergency arises.