Ammonia hydroxide spilled at Davis Drive and Kit Creek Road near the Durham and Wake County lines.
The building where the spill was reported is located in Durham County and is a water pump station operated by the Town of Cary.
The station uses ammonia to treat water. Some of the chemical seeped out and turned into liquid when it was exposed to the air. According to officials, there is a puddle inside the building's containment area.
Ammonia hydroxide is a poisonous and corrosive chemical that can be deadly if swallowed or inhaled. A mist or vapor can also cause burns to every area of contact.
HAZMAT was called to the scene per protocol.
No one was evacuated and there is no impact on the town's water.