The prestigious designation is awarded each year to AAA qualified hotels and restaurants. Anonymous evaluators make their decision after visiting the properties.
The AAA Four Diamond rating was awarded to a total of 40 NC businesses.
Only 3.4 percent of the 58,000 facilities, lodgings and restaurants evaluated this year throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean received the ranking.
The list of award winners and consecutive years won includes:
Four Diamond accommodations:
- Proximity Hotel, Greensboro (NEW – first year)
- Arrowhead Inn Bed and Breakfast, Durham (6 years)
- Holly Inn, Pinehurst (7 years)
- The Verandas, Wilmington (7 years)
- Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club (host), Durham (9 years)
- O. Henry Hotel, Greensboro (10 years)
- Grandover Resort & Conference Center Golf & Spa, Greensboro (10 years)
- Graystone Inn, Wilmington (10 years)
- Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill (12 years)
- The Siena Hotel, Chapel Hill (13 years)
- Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst (27 years)
Four Diamond restaurant winners:
- Heron's Restaurant, Cary (2 years)
- Di Valletta, Greensboro (4 years)
- Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern, Raleigh (5 years)
- The Left Bank, Duck (5 years)
- Carolina Crossroads, Chapel Hill (7 years)
- Four Square Restaurant, Durham (8 years)
- 1895 Grille, Pinehurst (8 years)
- The Fairview Dining Room, Durham (17 years)
- Il Palio Ristorante, Chapel Hill (19 years)
For a complete list of North Carolina's 2009 Four Diamond winners, please contact AAA Carolinas at (704) 569-7768.