Investigators say the blaze appears to have started in the central part of one townhome building. While it was just the one building, it contains six units, so six families are affected.
Fati Laframbroise is one of the homeowners who lost everything.
"All the stuff I own in my life - pictures of my husband - my husband passed away," she explained.
Pictures from Chopper 11 HD showed that the flames burned through the roof of one unit and several others showed signs of fire and water damage.
There's no word yet on how the flames got started. Witnesses said the fire spread to some woods behind the townhomes, and pictures from the air showed a large scorched area near the buildings.
There were also reports that a natural gas line was involved, and firefighters had to knock down that fire and shut off the gas supply.
Apex officials say they have no reports of any injuries. No one was inside the building when the fire broke out, but one dog was rescued.
Keep it here for more on this developing story.