According to the store clerk, a male wearing a ski mask entered the store, pulled out a gun and demanded money. The clerk refused to give the man money and hit him on the head with an unknown object.
A witness called 911 while the suspect continued to argue with the clerk.
When police arrived, an officer saw the suspect inside the store with a gun.
The officer arrested Brunson and confiscated a BB gun.
Brunson was initially charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon. He was being held in the Durham County Jail under a $120,000 bond.
Investigators later charged him with the following armed robberies:
- October 1 -- Town 'n Country, 1423 East Club Boulevard
- September 30 -- Subway, 3500 North Roxboro Road
- September 27 -- BP, 2211 North Roxboro Road
- September 22 -- BP, 2211 North Roxboro Road
- September 14 -- Subway, 3500 North Roxboro Road
- September 8 -- attempted robbery of two people in the parking lot of Town 'n Country, 1423 East Club Boulevard
After those charges, Brunson's bond was raised to $1,050,000.