Potholes are being filled


There's no question that potholes are being filled, but there's still a near guarantee that if you're behind the wheel, you will be driving over or dodging potholes that maintenance crews haven't gotten to yet.

One week ago, we went out to find some of the worst potholes in Wake County. We called in what we found to the maintenance crews responsible for filling them.

Friday, we went back to a number of those and every one we checked had been filled. Maintenance chiefs say that's the point - if they know about the potholes, they will fill them.

At the NC Department of Transportation, certain phone lines are dedicated to taking calls about issues like potholes - and they're getting plenty.

So far, we're told the state has gone through 111 tons of filler. Raleigh maintenance crews are out daily as well, and we're told the city is almost caught up on its promise to fill potholes within 24 hours after they're reported.

There are potholes that may have been widely reported but haven't been filled. In some of those cases, it's because the top layer of asphalt has peeled away from a concrete base. It may be unpleasant to drive over, but maintenance crews say the deeper potholes get priority.

Still, officials say potholes are sure not to get attention if they don't know about them, so they encourage residents to call them in.

Report it

To report a pothole to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, go to www.ncdot.gov/contact. There's a dropdown menu under "reporting" where you can select your county. Provide as much detail as possible about the location of the pothole including the city or county, road name, nearest intersection, which lane the pothole is in, and the size and depth of the pothole. To report a pothole on a road that is not maintained by the state, contact the local municipality.


In the City of Raleigh you can e-mail the city to report a pothole or a storm drain problem at pothole@ci.raleigh.nc.us


The City of Durham has an online form you can fill out to report a pothole.


The City of Fayetteville has an online form you can fill out to report a pothole.


To report a pothole in Cary, e-mail potholes@townofcary.org.

Chapel Hill

In Chapel Hill, e-mail gling@townofchapelhill.org to report a pothole.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.