Torch sparked fire at daycare


Firefighters were called to a fire at the Bright Horizons Daycare center off of T.W. Alexander Drive on Tuesday evening.

More than 50 children, from infants to preschoolers, were evacuated by the daycare’s staff.

Chief Robert Andrews of the Bethesda Volunteer Fire Department said smoke was coming out of the back of the building when firefighters arrived. He also said the staff at Bright Horizons got the children out in a timely manner, or it could have been a lot worse.

A report from the fire says flames were sparked when a flooring crew from LDR Flooring was using a hand-held torch near flammable glue. The glue was being used to install vinyl tiles.

The label on the glue says it should not be used near open flame, pilot lights or any devices that might spark.

The regional manager of the daycare said that the work was being done in one part of the building, while the children were in another part of the building and were never in danger.

ABC11 Eyewitness News reached out to the contractor responsible for the renovations. The owner of Harris Construction did not want to comment.

Crews were working at the daycare on Thursday, and cleanup from the fire was also underway.

Children were also safely back inside the building.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.