The fire broke out just before 10 p.m. at a single-story home on Monk Road near Ryan Street between North Roxboro Road and Denfield Street.
When ABC11 arrived on the scene, firefighters were pulling the teen out a front bedroom. Several minutes later, they pulled his father from a different side of the house, as they battled smoke and heavy flames.
"My dad was upstairs and he came downstairs rushing downstairs saying he heard some glass breaking so he was like call 911, their house is on fire," neighbor Julian McCullers said. "It was just flames everywhere coming out the house, a lot of smoke."
Paramedics performed CPR on both of them at the scene before they were taken to the hospital.
The father later died at the hospital. His son is currently at Duke Hospital, but his condition is not known at this time.
A dog that lived with the family also died in the fire.
Authorities have not said what sparked the blaze.