It happened around 8:00 a.m. Sunday at a home located in the 800 block of Stadium Drive.
Investigators said 49-year-old Dwayne David Ross shot 52-year-old David Jefferson Acree, and then called for help.
In the 911 call, the caller appears to be talking to the operator and Acree.
· Caller: "Sweetheart, I didn't mean to shoot you. I'm so sorry. I am so sorry David. I told you not to hit me."
· 911 Dispatcher: "And what part of his body was injured?"
· Caller: "I shot him in the damn heart. I shot him to kill him. He hit me. I told him not to hit me again. He hit me."
· 911 Dispatcher: "Okay, are his, but he's awake?"
· Caller: "He's mad at me for shooting him."
· 911 Dispatcher: "Well I would imagine he would be mad at you for shooting him."
Minutes later, Ross walked out of the house with the phone cradled on his shoulder and his hands in the air.
Police say his hands were covered with blood.
Acree died later Sunday morning at WakeMed.
Ross is charged with first degree murder.