It's not clear if supporters will try for a new vote.
Raleigh began the program in 2003. Cameras are currently set up at:
- Dawson Street at Morgan Street
- McDowell Street at Morgan Street
- Dawson Street at South Street
- Hillsborough Street at Dixie Trail/Friendly Drive
- Avent Ferry Road at Varsity Drive
- New Bern Avenue at Tarboro Road
- Peace Street at West Street
- Wilmington Street Chapanoke Road
- Six Forks Road at Dartmouth Street
- Six Forks road at Rowan Street
- New Bern Avenue at I-440 eastbound
- New Bern Avenue at I-440 westbound
- Capital Boulevard at Highwoods
- Capital boulevard at Buffaloe Road/New Hope Church Road
- New Hope Church Road at Brentwood Road
The Town of Cary also has a red-light camera program. While supporters say they increase safety at lights, opponents claim the opposite.
Raleigh uses the money it makes from citations to support the Wake County school system. So far, more than a half million dollars has been sent to the district.