Raleigh teens in two crashes continue to improve


Three victims were on their lunch break from Cardinal Gibbons High School Friday when their car collided with another vehicle and a bread truck. Laura Santiago, Matthew Sheehan, and Annetta San Diego, all 17-years-old, were taken to Wake Med.

The driver, Santiago, has since been treated and released. Sheehan remains in good condition, while San Diego is in critical.

Annetta's family has posted updates on her condition on her CaringBridge website. One posts talks about how her senses are starting to come back.

"They have a very, very strong faith life.  Very strong belief that God has a real hand in their daughter's recovery and they've got a great network of friends and family that are supporting them,"  Cardinal Gibbons Principal Jason Curtis said.  

While the teens recover, students at Cardinal Gibbons have come together to show their support by writing cards and filling up posters with well-wishes.

"For the students it's been a really good opportunity for them to have a tangible way to feel that they are reaching out to those students, to drop them a note," Curtis said.  "Students have visited the students in the hospital and they've gotten a chance to bring them gifts and notes and just to let them know that they have a whole community that's cheering them on and supporting them. "

That same support is being showered on the families of the four Broughton High School girls who were injured in an accident the same day in Halifax County.

Two girls, Janie Fountain and Tessa Jones, still remain hospitalized. Janie is at Vidant Medical Center, while Tessa is at UNC Children's Hospital. Grace Barnard and driver Madeline Crone have been treated and released.

On the Facebook page, "Prayers for Tessa Jones and Janie Fountain," the community has come together to show their support for the families, by coordinating meals and even lawn care while the families stay by the victims' sides.

On the page there is also a post from Lisa Jones, Tessa's mother. She wrote: "Tessa remembers every detail of the accident and what the scene was like seeing her best friends, one face down in the field, one pinned under the car and one running around hysterically trying to life the car off of her friend."

Tessa suffered several fractures in the accident, including one on her lower spine, but her mom wrote she was spared a spinal cord injury, adding: "Nothing she has experienced is life threatening..that alone is an absolute miracle!"

There are also online updates on Janie's condition saying her brain continues to remain stable with no swelling and her lungs continue to improve.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.