Officials said 35 felons and repeat offenders are off the streets in Fayetteville thanks to a joint task force called Operation Safe Neighborhoods and Operation Cease Fire.
The goal is to get weapons out of the hands of violent and repeat offenders.
"In the last two years, this partnership has seen the violence spike," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Jane Jackson.
Because of that, members of the joint task force of local police, deputies, U.S. Marshals, and ATF agents rededicated their efforts with a stern warning.
"The offenders need to know out there, if they commit an armed robber, when they brandish firearms, when they continually deal dope, they may be looking at a sentence in federal prison for the rest of their lives," said Jackson.
At Thursday's announcement of the dozens who are off the streets, Fayetteville Police Chief Harold Medlock called it a good day.
"It's sad we have to celebrate circumstances like this, but we are truly celebrating the fact that we took some of the worst of the worst offenders off our streets. They are now not able to terrorize the neighborhoods and our citizens across this city," Medlock said.
Last week, 12 people from the Fayetteville area were charged with firearm and other related violations:
- Lonnell Denangelo McRae, 26
- Donquiez Frankie Wilbridge, 24
- Cristopher Dean Gilbert, 23
- Christopher Hagen, 25
- Kareem Deshaun Grissett, 22
- Robert Tycell Lockhart, 23
- Aron Lamar Searcy, 27
- Confessor Luis Soto, 40
- Chris Emanuel Stewart, 35
- Perry Lamont Sykes, 35
- Brian Keith Tate, 37
- Victor White, 37
A police spokesman estimated that at least half the violent crimes in the area involve a weapon.
See It On TV | Report A Typo |
Send Tip |
Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook