"Unfortunately P.J. made a number of mistakes that placed his eligibility at risk and the University's joint review with the NCAA made it clear that seeking reinstatement for P.J. would not be possible," said director of athletics Bubba Cunningham. "The University thanks him for his contributions to Carolina Basketball.
UNC head coach Roy Williams suspended Hairston indefinitely after a summer drug arrest and after he received multiple speeding tickets.
"P.J. made mistakes and I was very disappointed by his actions and now he is suffering the very difficult consequences. He is not a bad kid; he just made some mistakes," said head coach Roy Williams.
Hairston and his family released a statement Friday acknowledging their disappointment in the program.
"We are displeased with the University of North Carolina's decision not to submit the necessary paperwork to the NCAA requesting to have P.J. reinstated. This process has been long, and for it to end without having a final decision from the governing body is a shame. Ultimately this affects P.J. and his eligibility to play Division 1 collegiate basketball for the remainder of this season, as well as next season.
Despite our disappointment, we wish the team continued success.
P.J. will be making an announcement about his future plans within the next few weeks. For now, we respectfully ask the media to refrain from contacting them, so that they can enjoy a peaceful holiday season at home.
UNC said Hairston scored 707 points and made 127 three-pointers in 71 games as a Tar Heel. Last year, he led UNC in scoring at 14.6 points per game and connected on 89 threes, the second-most in Carolina single-season history.