Show your support for your favorite team and help save a life by participating in ABC11's Match Madness — Bone Marrow Donor Registration Drive on Saturday, March 15th, from 12pm to 2pm at Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival.
Everyone who stops by our booth on March 15th to show their school spirit and learn more about Be The Match, will be eligible to win an iPad mini. ABC11 will also broadcast a live remote with "Big Weather" Don Schwenneker at the university with the most students/alumni/fans who register as bone marrow donors.
Q: How old do you have to be to register?
A: Be The Match is looking for donors between 18 and 44 years of age.
Q: What is the exact location for registering?
A: We will be at the corner of Fayetteville and Davie Streets, right by the Raleigh Eyewitness News Center, between noon and 2 pm.
Q: What is registration like?
A: A swab will be taken from the inside of your cheek and you will be added to the registry. It's that simple. There is also some paperwork. The whole process is about 20 minutes.
Q: What is my commitment if I join?
A: When you join the Be The Match Registry, you make a commitment to:
- Be listed on the registry until your 61st birthday, unless you ask to be removed
- Consider donating to a searching patient who matches you
- Keep us updated if your address changes, you have significant health changes or you change your mind about being a donor
- Respond quickly if you are contacted as a potential match for a patient
Q: What if I can't make it to Raleigh on Saturday? Can I still participate?
A: Yes! You can sign up for the drive online by going to http://join.marrow.org/ABC11
- On the first page, check all boxes that apply to you and then click 'Go'
- Create an account and continue with the registration process
- Click the button that confirms you want a Buccal Swab kit sent to you
- That's it! Your registration is done. The Buccal Swab kit should be sent to you within 2 business days.
Q: Why is there a need for people to join the Be The Match Registry?
A: Thousands of patients with blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma, sickle cell and other life-threatening diseases depend on the Be The Match Registry to find a match to save their lives.
To learn more go to bethematch.org
Join us in the fight against cancer for what could be a life-saving "Match Madness" competition.