Fire kills two women in mobile home

February 11, 2008 1:44:15 PM PST
Authorities in Fayetteville believe unattended food left cooking on a stove is to blame for a fire that killed two women Sunday night.

The blaze broke out around 10:30 p.m. at the Tex Mobile Home Park on Murchinson Road.

Authorities found the bodies of Cynthia Cain, 55, and Pauline Kmieciak, 66, in a back bedroom of the home Terry Hill owned. "One of the ladies was cooking. And I'm sure they were drinking and forgot something was on top of the stove and returned to the rear bedroom where fire caught," the landlord said.

Firefighters say heavy smoke and fire were shooting from the building when they arrived. Hill met the two women about four months ago when he says they were homeless and living in a tent in the woods. "I took Pauline out to that site where she showed me that they had been living out there for the last 30 days. So I decided to go on and rent that trailer to them," Hill said.

He explains he never had any problems with the women. The only problem he knew about, was that they loved to drink. "Cindy was usually in the bed. Pauline would sit on the floor with her back against the wall and they'd drink together and she'd tell stories to Cindy and probably they'd just drink until they passed out," Hill said.

Hill says he was trying to help the women get their lives back on track.


Load Comments