Panthers cut Delhomme in change of guard at QB

Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme (WTVD)

March 3, 2010 9:00:00 PM PST
The Carolina Panthers have cut Jake Delhomme, just over a year after they gave him a lucrative contract extension only to watch him have his worst season as a pro. Agent Rick Smith confirmed the move late Thursday. It signals the Panthers intend to go with Matt Moore or someone new at quarterback for the first time since Delhomme burst onto the scene in 2003 and led Carolina to the Super Bowl.

After committing six turnovers in a playoff loss to end the 2008 season, Delhomme had 18 interceptions last year before being sidelined for the final five games with a broken finger.

The Panthers still owe the 35-year-old Delhomme about $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

Carolina also released veteran defensive tackle Damione Lewis, further depleting their line in a move that shaves another $5 million off their rapidly shrinking payroll.

A week after the Panthers decided against paying defensive end Julius Peppers more than $20 million with the franchise tag, they parted ways with another starter and a locker-room leader. "My cap number was a little high, about $5 million. Anything can happen in that situation," Lewis said. "With all of this stuff going with the CBA, I tried to be realistic. But I thought it was possible."

The 32-year-old Lewis had 41 tackles and a half sack in 16 starts last season as he played with numerous other tackles in Carolina's banged-up line. Lewis had 48 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks in 2008, the first year he replaced Kris Jenkins as a starter.

Lewis was signed to a contract extension before the 2008 season, but the deal was restructured last offseason to clear salary-cap space. There was a clause that called for the contract to revert to its old terms if a large bonus wasn't paid this spring. Lewis would have been due $4 million this season and a $1 million roster bonus.

General manager Marty Hurney didn't immediately return a phone message seeking comment. Coach John Fox has avoided reporters since the final day of the regular season.

"Coach Fox said it was more of an economic deal. He said it wasn't about the way I played," Lewis said. "I feel like I had a good season. The only thing I didn't do was that my sack numbers were down."

The move leaves Carolina with no starters from the line that ended last season. Peppers, Tyler Brayton and Hollis Thomas are unrestricted free agents.

It points to Carolina turning to young players despite there being no salary cap next season in the final year of the collective bargaining agreement.

The Panthers offered tenders to restricted free agents Louis Leonard and Tank Tyler on Wednesday, and signed fellow defensive tackle Ed Johnson last month. They also have high hopes for defensive ends Everette Brown and Charles Johnson.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook


Load Comments