Prosecution rests its case in Crystal Mangum murder trial.

Former Duke Lacrosse accuser is charged with killing her boyfriend with a kitchen knife, but will she testify?
November 19, 2013 2:44:40 PM PST
The state rested its case in the Crystal Mangum murder trial Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, jurors were shown new autopsy photos of the man, police say, the former Duke Lacrosse accuser stabbed to death.

Mangum is accused of attacking Reginald Daye with the kitchen knife during an argument in April 2011. Daye died 10 days later. Mangum claims self defense, saying Daye attacked her.

Dr. Clay Nichols, a former state medical examiner recently investigated by the SBI, testified Tuesday morning that Daye died as a result of complications from his stab wounds.

However under cross examination, Mangum's defense attorneys tried to point out discrepancies between Dr. Nichols' autopsy and a report from the hospital.

The state repeatedly objected to the defense's questions suggesting Daye could have survived his stab wound.

Along with Daye's autopsy photos, the jury watched a video of Mangum's police interview after the stabbing.

An investigator said Daye admitted to grabbing Mangum and pulling her hair. The investigator said he claimed he was trying to get her to leave when she stabbed him.

It's still unclear if Mangum will testify on her own behalf.

Mangum made national headlines in 2006 when she accused a group of Duke University lacrosse players of sexually assaulting her while she worked as a stripper at a party. The accusations were later found to be false, and Attorney General Roy Cooper dismissed all charges filed against the students.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments