Hazardous materials leak reported in Smithfield

A hazardous materials team at a Smithfield recycling center.

February 19, 2014 1:39:37 PM PST
Four people were taken to the hospital after hazardous materials leak at a recycling center in Smithfield Wednesday.

It happened at Omnisource recycling on Walpat Road off of U.S. Highway 301.

» Click here for Google map of the area «

Smithfield Fire Chief Patrick Harris said 150 pound tank was found to be leaking chlorine at a scrap yard.

One worker remains hospitalized at WakeMed after an inhalation injury. Three others went to the Johnston County Hospital. They were treated and released.

There are no homes nearby.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Load Comments