HAZMAT called to UNC campus

CHAPEL HILL Crews were called to the 100 block on Mason Farm Road around 6 p.m. when officials say someone in a chemistry lab accidentally mixed two chemicals that produced a small amount of chlorine gas.

The cloud of chlorine gas was contained to a lab room inside the Medical Bimolecular Research Building.

Chapel Hill officials say the leak originated on the sixth floor of the nine-story building and it was evacuated.

One person drove himself to the emergency room as a precaution, after experiencing mild respiratory symptoms. He is expected to be okay.

The fire department and UNC Health and Safety crews stayed at the scene until the area was cleared.

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.