Authorities originally thought Ray Ausbon, 21, and Zachary Tigner, 19, died from an overdose of mephedrone - a type of plant food commonly known on the street as 'Meow-Meow.'
While that drug was found in their systems, the report only says the mephedrone could have been a contributing factor in their deaths. It calls the levels of oxymorphone lethal.
Ausbon and Tigner were found at the Boylan Apartments at 817 Hillsborough Street on the morning of Oct. 2.
According to Ausbon's parents, the guys were just two friends who were hanging out and died because they made a mistake.
Ausbon's obituary says he graduated from Apex High School in 2007 and was a student at NC State University majoring in accounting.
Tigner also graduated from Apex High and attended Gardner-Webb University. He had recently enlisted in the United States Army and was to report for duty on October 4.